Busy-ness is the trend these days. People carry over-packed schedules like winning trophies. “I’m SO busy at work!” “How do you have time to do that? I’m too busy to read/watch TV/exercise/do anything fun.” “I can’t get monthly massages or go to a yoga class I have too much to DO!”
Too much “busy” could be making you tired, sick, and probably cranky.
When do you give yourself time out or relax? RELAX. “Relaxation” is a word we hear lots, but don’t know always know what it means. Here, I’ve compiled some options for you.
re·lax verb \ri-ˈlaks\
1: the state of being free from tension or anxiety.
2: a way to rest and enjoy yourself
3: recreation or rest, especially after a period of work.
4: the loss of tension in a part of the body, especially in a muscle when it ceases to contract.
5: something that you do to stop feeling nervous, worried, etc.
More importantly, what does relaxation mean to you?
If you’re not a “hot bath and good book” kind of person, you probably cringe at hotel spa photos of people with stones piled on their backs. But here’s the beauty: You can make your own definition of relaxation.
It’s your job to figure out what you enjoy doing, what makes you smile, and what makes you feel like you are a hundred miles from work or home jobs?
Then, make time for that.
You have a schedule. Write in special time for a hobby, a nap, massage, your favorite show, a weekend getaway, a new class, ANY thing you enjoy can be relaxing.
Here are some more ideas:
- Spend part of the day alone.
- Spend part of the day with your family, doing ONLY fun stuff.
- Meditate – see the apps Headspace and Insight Timer if you have a smart phone.
- Devote time to your hobby.
- Sleep in. Or get up extra early. Whichever excites you!
- Get the kids to school and pop back into bed for an hour…oh the loveliness!
- Schedule a massage or reflexology! Here in Ananda Centre we offer both. See www.anandacentre.com for more details.
- Come to one of my Rest & Restore Saturday morning workshops. 2 hours of gentle movement and blissed out, supported postures. Next on is Jan 24th 10am. Contact me on 085 1502378 to book your place.
- If you’ve always wanted a day to “not leave the house” today’s the day! Wake when you wish, eat when you’re hungry, stay in your jammies and read a book.
Taking care of you is important. And, self-care puts you in a better frame of mind to take care of the people who depend on you. So find the thing that mellows you out, and make it happen!