Today July 11th marks World Population Day. What dos this mean?
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
This year they are raising awareness on the issue of Adolescent Pregnancy.
UNFPA advocates for the welfare of young people by:
• Promoting the human rights of adolescents
• Preventing HIV infection
• Engaging young people in decisions that affect them
• Supporting age-appropriate comprehensive sexuality education
• Creating safe spaces for adolescent girls
• Encouraging abandonment of harmful practices
• Encouraging leadership
UNFPA supports healthy families by:
• Training health workers to deliver quality family planning services
• Supplying contraceptives in emergency situations
• Ensuring youth-friendly reproductive health care
• Providing counselling and choices to women who want to avoid or delay pregnancy
• Educating men on the benefits of birth spacing
UNFPA supports maternal health by:
• Training midwives and health workers
• Preventing and treating obstetric fistula
• Supplying clean birthing kits following disasters
• Strengthening emergency obstetric care
• Ensuring reliable supplies of essential medicines and equipment
• Enabling birth spacing