I often get asked in class what’s the best way to clean a yoga mat. And yes, I can bet there are a few of you out there now mentally saying “clean my yoga mat???” Well you do have your feet all over it and then your nose smooshed into it in child’s pose! mmm
Ok, so if it is in need of a sprucing up..
1. Spray bottle with a couple of drops of washing-up liquid and a damp cloth.
2. Rub into dirty parts of mat and wipe clean with fresh water.
3. Use a tea towel to clean dry and hang to air.
If you have been dragging it everywhere and its been used for more than your sacred practice of yoga (shame on you!) then it may need a bit more tlc…
1. Stick it in the bath with warm, not hot, water and only a very, very small amount of mild washing powder. (Too much and mat will become very slippery when you go to use it.)
2. Swish it and wash it and rinse with clean water.
3. Squeeze out, place on a dry towel and roll up in towel. Stand on towel squeezing even more water out and hang to dry.
Nice, clean mats. Now go on, you have no excuse not to practice on your squeaky, clean mat!